Skip to main content

JANUARY 2015: nostalgia and the here and now of London (and riesling)

I got a little annoyed with January and everyone wanting to have a ‘dry January’. I had worked all through December and I wanted to have fun for the beginning of the year. Luckily I had a few trusted friends who were equally unimpressed with the dry Jan concept. But of course, everyone was broke (including myself) so I decided that it was going to be a month of drinking good wine at home. 

That’s the thing with London, there is always something good to do, there is always somewhere great to be; it’s a tricky city to be in, when broke. And January is such a sad month, that you want to brighten it up with fun, but you don’t have the money to do so. When I went back to uni to do my PhD I used up all my savings and really didn’t have time to pick up extra work, so even though I graduated six months ago, I’m still playing catch up and living pay check to pay check. Therefore despite the December work slog, I was back to being broke by January. And I know that I’m not alone in this boat. 

I do think it’s getting harder in London, there are so many people my age (early - mid 30s), with good jobs, and still living precariously. I think rents are ridiculous in London, they have risen so much faster than inflation; with the financial crash in 2007/8 pay has been frozen in many companies, yet rent and cost of living still rises. I felt I knew more people in my 20s who were buying flats than I do now. 

My January plan was to cook healthy and drink well. What dictated my cooking was simple -  Highbury Vintners. We went there one afternoon and they had a sign in the window that said ‘Dry January’ over a number of bottles of dry rieslings. So, there you go - I decided to drink resiling in January! And I love a good bowl of spicy, asian inspired food to go with my riesling.

My desire for good wine and not going out in January was all about the here and now, and having to come to terms that at 33 I’m not as grown up as I wanted and thought I would be. I’m not financially secure, I’m not secure in my career - although lots of great things are happening and I have every faith that I will be. But thinking back to my mid 20s, I thought I would be ‘sorted’ by now. I am learning that you never really are ‘sorted'; and sometimes you need to take different journeys than you thought, to get to where you actually want to be. But, in opposition, my interest in riesling is all about the past. 

Why I love riesling is to do with the first time. The first time I had a glass of riesling poured for me, I stuck my nose in the glass and inhaled petrol. The scent of petrol was so strong that I was instantly taken back to my childhood, on the rivers of Sarawak, with dad, going up river in the longboat and the smell of petrol on the air from the boat’s motor. So my love of riesling is purely emotional. Funny that a german wine (which that first one was) would make me think so vividly of the jungles of Borneo. 

I now like and appreciate a wide range of riesling, and some of my favourites are from New Zealand - so also a touch of home and nostalgia there, too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con